Eighteen months after the sinking of a refugee boat in the Mediterranean, which is thought to have resulted in more than 100 deaths, Italy has filed charges against six officials.Members of the coastguard and financial police must stand trial for failing to provide assistance, judicial authorities reported on Tuesday.A smuggler from Turkey has already been sentenced to 20 years for the disaster. Three other suspected smugglers are also set to face trial.The boat had set off from Turkey in February last year, carrying more than 150 people, in an attempt to bring migrants across the Mediterranean to southern Italy.According to survivor reports, the severely overloaded ship capsized during an abrupt manoeuvre when the coast was already within sight. At least 94 people lost their lives, including many children. People are still missing.Four of the indicted officials belong to the Italian financial police, and two to the coastguard.The public prosecutor's office attributes the primary blame to the fin ancial police, asserting that they halted the search for the sunken ship after initial reports without even informing the coastguard, the Italian newspaper La Repubblica reported. The coastguard is later said to have falsified the logbooks.Italy's right-wing government, led by Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, dramatically increased penalties for smugglers and their accomplices following the tragedy, with sentences of up to 30 years in prison.People continue to lose their lives during the perilous journey of refugee boats across the Mediterranean to Europe.Source: Ghana News Agency
Related Articles
BVN Database Dispute: Court Delivers Judgment in NIBSS’ Suit Against CBN, Others
Abuja: fixed July 4 for judgment in the suit filed by the Nigeria Inter-Bank Settlement System (NIBSS) Plc against the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and others. NIBSS is seeking an order to prevent any institution from challenging its statutory authority to maintain and manage the Bank Verification Number (BVN) database in Nigeria. According to […]
PWDs commend Akrofoum district assembly for transparency
Persons with disabilities (PWDs) in the Adansi Akrofoum, have commended the district assembly for showing greater transparency and fairness in the disbursement of the disability funds. Scores of PWDs who spoke to the Ghana News Agency during the third disbursement of the fund at Akrofoum, said the Assembly had since 2018 been consistent in supporting […]
CRI empowers farmers with knowledge on agroecology, circular economy
Dr. Kwaku Asante, a renowned scientist from the Crop Research Institute (CRI), Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), has educated members of the Peasant Farmers Association of Ghana (PFAG) in the Krachi East Municipality on Agroecology and Circular economy principles. The sensitisation workshop was conducted with funding support from the Climate and Clean Air […]
