HARARE, Zimbabwe- Zimbabwean President, Emmerson Mnangagwa, on Friday, sent a condolence message, after yet another 42 people died, Thursday night, when a bus they were travelling in caught fire along the Bulawayo-Beitbridge road in southern Zimbabwe.
At least another 20 people were also injured in the accident.
The accident is the second major fatal accident in Zimbabwe, barely two weeks after 50 people died in another bus accident, Wednesday last week, near Rusape, along the Harare-Mutare highway.
Thursday’s bus was coming from Zvishavane in the Midlands Province and was travelling to Musina in South Africa.
Mnangagwa said, the accident points to the growing risks on the country’s roads, requiring urgent and drastic interventions.
“What is heart-rending about this latest accident is that combustible material was allowed onto the bus, thus causing a conflagration which entrapped, scalded and consumed innocent passengers,” the president said.
Mnangagwa said the latest accident must jolt the nation to re-look at its traffic laws and traffic enforcement practices, in order to prevent placement of all incendiary material on public transport vehicles.
“As before, I urge the ministry of transport to use the two accidents, which have occurred hard on the heels of each other, to take appropriate measures which comprehensively deal with this growing menace on our roads,” the president said.
Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK